Tuesday, November 4

I ♥ My Aspie!

I say it with pride!! I have a life full of them, it defines my life now. I cannot escape the facts! .....
I ♥♥♥ the Aspies in my life !!
I don't say it out of hurtfulness, I don't say it to be derogatory.
It is a term of affection & I am sticking with that.
Name-calling is not accepted in our home, by the way. I think this term is cute & don't ask me why I want to use 'cute' terms...
I don't know why. As you can see from the random pictures in this post, I just like CUTE things!
I also add "y" to other words, like THING-Y, for instance.
If anyone uses this term negatively, then shame on them. We cannot always NOT OFFEND, as we are all different & think & speak differently. Differences should be celebrated.
My family uses the term lightly with the 3, count 'em THREE Aspies living in the house. I don't hear or use the term daily. It is said occassionally, at random times.
I don't even call my guys with AS "ASPIES" to their faces, unless they are really 'stewing' for a long while over something. It helps them to snap out of it sometimes. I don't use the term AT ALL with my youngest, as he is not dealing well with terms of endearment right now, in general.
We use it to identify Aspergian traits- not to stifle them, but to keep differences well spoken of. I am screwed up, yes?!! No?!?? I don't know, but it works for us. Keeping differences, not to take center stage, but for acceptance to others in the family. (As I re-read this statement, it does not do justice to what I am TRYING to say... I'm sorry my rant is not taking the logical route today.) My dh has opinions on how I act; he calls it "obstinance". No offense taken by me... I accept that I am not perfect in every way. What IS perfection anyhow? What IS normal? After exploring this issue for a couple of years now, the family accepts the differences, it is not an insult... it is just a LOGICAL fact that my Aspies cannot deny!! Logic rules their lives, remember? I have read: "Author and speaker Liane Holliday Willy coined the term "Aspie" in 1999 and people with the the syndrome might refer to one another with this term."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think what you're saying makes perfect sense. My daughter started a blog and called it aspergianmarie (well, that's not her real name -- but you know what I mean!) At first, it bothered me. After all, the Asperger's is not her whole identity. Then I decided it was very wise. Sometimes it's best to just take a label and embrace it -- make it a positive thing! I hope this makes sense.