Thursday, November 13

I Don't Want to be Classified as a "CUREBIE"!

What is a curebie?
(Taken from "Life w/Asperger's" blog) You are a curebie if any of the following ring a bell.
1. You think that one day, with enough funding, someone will invent a magic pill, therapy or operation that the kid can take which will make them Neurotypical (NT).
2. You think that you can simply change a kids diet, parents, proximity to power sources, TV or Game viewing/playing hours and they'll suddenly become NT.
3. You think you can make a kid NT by electroshocking them, beating them, locking them up or otherwise torturing them into normality.
4. You think that being Aspie or Autistic is wrong..wrong...wrong. A burden thrust onto you (a parent) which needs to be "fixed".
5. You don't think anyone would be happy the way they are unless they are NT.
6. All you want is for your child to be the same as everyone else's child.
7. You think that any money collected for autistic children should be funneled into research into finding a cure rather than being spent on improving their quality of life.
8. Your child's condition diminishes your love for him/her - you'd love them more if they were NT.
9. You're certain that Asperger's or Autism isn't genetic, it's caused by outside/environmental factors which can be cured.
(That being quoted, I look/have looked into ways to relieve my son's moods... I was looking for relief.  If something simple presents itself & brings relief that HE views as relief, then I will most likely stick with it, with no regrets!!)

1 comment:

Amber DBTD said...

I guess for me, even if there was (and I don't believe there ever really will be) a magic pill to make our kids NT, I would not want to give it to Jaymes. I love him for who he is, and giving him such a pill would entirely take away who he is.