Sunday, December 28

Rewards System

I have been on the look out for something that will work with my son, to help him understand consequences, reward for hard work & life in general. This is what I found: I am trying the "Ticket System" with my 6 yo son, starting tomorrow. I purchased a roll of tickets at Wal-Mart for less than $4.00, to hand out to him when I catch him being good & when he cooperates during the day.
He will get some t.v. time at bedtime, play Cartoon Network games online or have chocolate ice cream as his rewards. These are the only things that entice him, so I am using it.
We will see how well it works, I will update.

2 comments:

Diane Dennis said...

Hi!

I wish you the best, it is very hard to find something that works.

We ended up setting up a quarter system.

Each week we'd put half of his allowance in a plastic container with a lid, all in quarters.

When he was caught doing a naughty thing (ie: being disrespectful) he would have to move a quarter from the "good" container to the "naughty" container.

When he was caught being good (such as letting his sister past the narrow passage before throwing open his car door to get in) he would move a quarter from the "naughty" container to the "good" container.

When he was caught being good but there were no quarters in the "bad" container to move over, he'd put a piece of paper or a poker chip into the "good" container and then move it to the "bad" container as a kind of free pass when caught being bad. It wasn't worth anything monetarily at the end of the week but it worked because it was a "free pass" when caught being "bad".

At the end of the week he'd keep the quarters in the "good" container and we'd restock the "good" container for a new week.

This can be done with any denomination of money, doesn't have to be quarters.

The key point is HE had to move the quarters rather than us moving them for him. It "drives it home" more when he has to move them himself.

We used other systems as well, at one point we were combining several systems.

Our stories, some of them (I rarely have time to post) are posted here: http://www.aspergers-and-pdd.com

Good luck with it all and please fee free to contact me should you ever have any questions! =)

Diane Dennis

Paper on Steroids said...

Thanks Diane for commenting & doing so by contributing, too.
I appreciate all feedback.